Because benefits and claims have become so darn complicated, a lot of my time is spent advising workers and employees on appeal strategies for their unemployment claim.
Unemployment benefits in Minnesota can equal nearly $17,000 over a 26 week period. For some employees, benefits are even higher.
Thus, I think preparing accordingly is worth every ounce of effort.
Unemployment Lawyer Minnesota: Types of Issues
If an application gets denied, the unemployment office will assign a specific legal issue to the claim.
Sometimes, a person’s case will involve more than one issue.
Here are a few examples of unemployment issues I see on a daily basis:
- Employment misconduct
- Quit Issues
- Available for Work
- Covered and Non-Covered Employment
- Suitable Work
Also, appeals can include matters like:
- Medical issues
- Medical conditions
- Independent Contractor Issues
- And, Other Unemployment Issues
Unemployment Attorney: Problem Solving
If you need help figuring out what to do, what to say, correcting an error or combating a lie or questions on your application, please watch the following short video on how I approach unemployment problems:
How can an Unemployment Lawyer Minnesota help?
As an unemployment attorney, here are a handful of ways I help others with their claim or case:
- Filling out an application using laws that support you,
- One-on-one consultations,
- Representation at your phone hearing,
- Drafting and Filing an Appeal on your behalf,
- Gathering evidence, seeking subpoenas, confronting the other party, etc.,
- Drafting and filing a Request for Reconsideration,
- Representation during an audit,
- Help with a Garnishment issue,
- Advocate a re-payment plan specific to an overpayment,
- Help reducing unemployment taxes and penalties,
- An appeal to the Minnesota Court of Appeals,
- An appeal to the Minnesota Supreme Court,
- Other services as you see a need.
A Lawyer for Unemployment: Is it Necessary?
Usually, hiring a lawyer to fight fight fight is not always necessary.
Instead, the goal is to figure out what and how you can prove or defend your case.
Yes, I think getting specific advice on your situation is important. Feedback from family members and friends is nice, but their support generally doesn’t account for rules and laws applicable in Minnesota.
Whether you think an unemployment attorney can improve your case or not, please take the unemployment appeal process seriously.
MN Unemployment Lawyer: Starting Point
Each case is different. Proving a case might include:
- Using Minnesota unemployment laws like rule 268.095,
- Past cases,
- Preponderance of evidence standard, or
- Witnesses or other pieces of evidence.
Unemployment Lawyer Minnesota: Where?
Believe it or not, many of my Clients live in rural areas or in different parts of the United States.
I meet with people by phone, e-mail, and one-on-one at my office.
If you live or work in the Twin Cities, great! Otherwise, do not allow where you live to prevent you from finding help with your case.
Can an unemployment lawyer Minnesota be on the phone with me?
As an unemployment lawyer Minnesota, my job is to serve the Client’s needs as they require.
Yes, as an unemployment lawyer Minnesota, I am routinely on the phone with my Clients when they are talking with a judge.
Sometimes, my job requires me to find an edge or hold employers accountable. Other times, my job is to assist in witness or evidence preparation.
Really though, my job is all of the above.
How Much does an MN Unemployment Attorney Cost?
Consider this: the value of meeting with an unemployment attorney (even just once) can far outweigh a week or a year’s worth of benefits.
So you know, I use a flat fee system for cases related to unemployment because it is easier for my unemployed Clients to manage.
Yes, the flat fee is based on a person’s income, the value of your unemployment benefit and the complexity of their case.
Unemployment Lawyer in Minnesota: Who is the Best?
I do not know which lawyer is the best, but I am very proud of those that I serve.
I encourage you to review what some of my past Clients have said.