A trustee checklist will look different as time moves forward. In other words, the administration of a trust immediately after death and post death looks different. Here are some To-Do’s immediately upon death of a Grantor.
- Say a prayer for the person who died,
- Decide whether organ donation is needed,
- Contact a medical school if an anatomical bequest was made,
- Make arrangements to secure the decedent’s home,
- Decide on funeral or memorial services,
- Contact the Social Security Administration,
- If the decedent was a military veteran, contact the Department of Veterans Affairs to determine, whether disability benefits should cease and if there is an opportunity for burial rights.
A trustee checklist is a must. This is especially important given the complexities of administering an estate that might take weeks, years, or decades.
Estate Attorney Jasper Berg