The following is a list of questions you should ask the nursing home before selecting their services:
Top 3 questions when selecting a Nursing Home
1. Is the nursing home Medicare or MA certified?
2. Does the nursing home have the level of care needed and is a bed available? (Check with MDH and/or ask the facility directly).
3. Is there a full-time registered nurse in the nursing home at all times?
Additional questions to ask the Nursing Home
- Is there a choice of food items at each meal, and are residents able to get their favorite food items?
- Are staff available to help residents eat and drink during mealtimes?
- Are there daily activities for the residents?
- Does the facility allow pets?
- Is there an active volunteer program?
- What is the nursing home’s safety and care plan in the event of an emergency?
- What is the nursing home’s staff retention rate?
- Does the same team of nurses and certified nursing assistants work with the same residents most days per week?